Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My breastfeeding picture on facebook



I posted my first ever picture on the internet. Yah, I'm not much of a picture taker! And I lost my camera for a long time... and then lost my only sd card.... and ok, I'm just lazy. But, I finally did it! I posted this picture on my facebook profile in response to facebook taking down breastfeeding pictures that were marked "obscene." I only wish that my toddler was still nursing so I could post a tandem nursing picture with both boobs hanging out! I never did take a tandem nursing picture. :(

Facebook has been chewed out well in other blogs, so I won't go there. I do have a few things to say about breastfeeding though.

Genesis (Bereshith) 3:7 "Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked. And they sewed fig leaves together and made loin coverings for themselves."
LOIN coverings!! Not breast coverings. Eve did not cover her breasts, because she was not ashamed of them! And neither am I. I will not cover up when I nurse. I dare someone to try to tell me that I am responsible for anyone else's lust. That is their issue between them and God. Most of the men I've ever talked to or heard about don't view breastfeeding as sexual anyway. It's their wives who go on anti-breastfeeding campaigns, kick nursing mothers out of churches, say it's a wonderful thing to do "in private," and all because they are scared that their husbands might sneak a peek.
And so what if they do! Yes, breasts are sexual. So, are mouths. In fact, I can think of a whole lot more sexual things to do with my mouth than my breasts. But no one hides their mouths. I will not hide my breasts when I feed my baby. Not in the store or the park or a room full of men and certainly not in church.
Especially not in church, because nursing my baby is glorifying to God. I am using my body for the exact purpose He created it for, and nourishing my baby with His perfectly designed method.
So, the next time I whip out my boob in front of you to feed my baby, feel free to cover your head with a blanket if you're uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment