Friday, September 23, 2011

Smashing Grapes

We finally smashed grapes with our feet like I posted as a plan back in August.  It was fun!  I wish I could afford to fill up the tub with them (as E  begged me to do!), but instead I just got a big box of them and divided them into two big mixing bowls and let the girls smoosh and stomp to their heart's content.  Then we strained out the juice and drank it.  I offered some to D and he looked at me like I'd just asked him to smell sweaty feet.  I told him I had washed the girls feet really well before they stomped the grapes, but he said "It's not that I doubt you washed them, but, um, no.  That's just gross."

I showed the girls the video of I Love Lucy where she stomps grapes in Italy, which is hilarious and if you have never seen I Love Lucy, you really should watch it.  I told them that their great grandma's parents came to America from Italy (well, technically Sicily which is a detail to me, but apparently very important to them) right before she was born.  We imagined that some of our ancestors might have stomped grapes at some point.

I tried to make raisins from the smashed up grapes, but they didn't turn out.  I didn't actually read how to do it, I just spread them on a pan and stuck them out in the sun. After a few days, I was afraid they had gone bad rather than dried out, so I threw them away.

All in all, it was a fun project!


No comments:

Post a Comment