Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Numbers

E has been able to count to 10 for a long time now, but getting 10-20 down has been harder. She knows all the numbers, but getting the order is hard. Counting to 20 or 100 comes up occasionally like when she wants me to count all her cards or some games that have little pieces.

She has a poster on the wall of numbers 1-100 and she asks me to read off the numbers to her sometimes, and there is the occasional opportunity to see the numbers in real life like exit signs or apartment numbers. I have vaguely wondered how she will learn the higher numbers without me "teaching" them. I was pretty sure it would come up, but it just didn't seem like it would come up often enough. I knew that she can recognize numbers 1-9, but not two digit numbers..... or so I thought.

Yesterday we were looking at an anatomy book and she pointed out that we were on "page 68." I was surprised! How did she know that was 68? Then she did it a few more times, getting it right or almost right. Like "Fivety-six" instead of fifty six. Then today were were looking at a book about whales and she said we were on "page 83." It was 38, so she's still figuring out the left to right thing. Then she said the numbers of a few other pages correctly.

I just thought it was so cool that she has picked that information up along the way! I knew it would happen, but I didn't know how, so it's fun to see all the ways she learns things that I never would have thought of to use if I was trying to teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment