Thursday, May 14, 2009

Telling Time

E and I stayed up late together tonight after D and L went to bed. She sat with me at the computer, and we talked while I checked email and message boards. Then she started watching the hands on the clock. She had asked me to pull it off the wall earlier today when she was wondering what time it was. Every couple of days she gets interested in the time. She'll ask what time it is, what time the sun comes up, what time daddy is coming home. I always tell her and point to either the digital clock on the stove or the regular clock in the office. If she continues to ask I will pull the clock down and talk about the numbers and hands.

Tonight, she was especially interested in watching and waiting for the minute hand to move as the second hand went around. She said she was waiting for it to stop, and I told her that it wouldn't stop unless it was broken- Time doesn't stop. That was a big idea for a little girl.

Then I googled "telling time games" and found a few fun sites: http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/snapdragon/yesflash/time-1.htm
http://www.teachingtime.co.uk/clock/clockres.html

I guess I should say that we used them in fun, whether the designer liked it or not. Aparently, the second one is a "Tool for Teachers" and "For Evaluation Only." Good thing I'm not a teacher. E looked at those words and told me that there was a mommy O and a daddy O and an O for her, but no O for L. There are only 3 O's in "for evaluation only." I suggested that L could have the "L," but she said no. Instead she said L could have the number 8, because that is like two O's. Of course, none of that had anything to do with telling time so it's a good thing I wasn't using this as a lesson plan or evaluating anyone. hahaha

Anyway, I'm glad that people who have the skills to make those kind of interactive things do it, and make them free. That is really cool! She really enjoyed both sites, and I'm sure we'll be using them more as she learns to tell time.

1 comment:

  1. That's so fun. My kids learned it naturally (it was one of the things that made me realize unschooling actually works--I couldn't tell time properly until I was 10 or 11--it just didn't make sense to me and my 2 year old knew 15 min. increments, half hours, and whole hours.) It all came of Veggietales being 15 minutes and 30 minutes long. My oldest would ask how long something was in terms of Veggie tales and I would reply--1 show long, or a whole tape. Later she learned the numbers that corresponded with that, partly from the very same thing--what time does Daddy leave for work, what time will he get home, what time is lunch, etc. The younger two learned the very same way, it just came naturally in the course of the day.

    ReplyDelete