Thursday, May 28, 2009

Life Is Good

We spent the weekend at the Life is Good Unschooling Conference, and had a blast! Thursday and Friday we only got to spend a few hours because we had to come back to work. Saturday and Sunday we spent the whole day, and Monday we hung out at the after conference picnic for about 3 hours.

I sat in on some great chats and listened to some good speakers. It was so fun and peaceful! I'm looking forward to next year already.

E spent most of the time in the pool.



L really liked the water too. It was her first time in a swimming pool- if you don't count the birthing pool she was in right after birth- haha.



The hotel is right on the Columbia river. E got to see one of the bridges raise up for a boat.


Here she is performing one of her dramatic song and dance routines.


L is escaping!


I didn't get nearly enough pictures of the different rooms they had set up for the kids. This one was a game room. They had video games, board games, blocks, DDR.

Another room was set up with toys, dress up things, balls. Throughout the conference there were "funshops" with activities like bubble blowing, clay, drumming, sing alongs, dancing, doll making, flag making, and so many other things I can't even remember. We didn't make it to most of those since I wanted to hear the presentations and E wanted to play in the pool, but we will probably check them out next year. There was also a talent show, and kids set up tables with their "untrepreneurial" wares.

The hotel manager told one of the conference organizers that he had never seen so many kids in one place who weren't fighting. I noticed that myself, too. I only saw a few minor conflicts, which were easily and peacefully resolved by parents helping kids talk things out and problem solve. I heard lots of pleases and thank yous, and the door was held open for me by kids of all ages more times than I can remember.

I saw lots of teenagers with colorful hair and piercings and interesting clothes- I saw them talking and laughing with adults and holding their mothers' hands. They also participated in a teen panel where they shared their thoughts and experiences as unschoolers. They told about what they liked and didn't like, and if they thought the experience had prepared them for the real world. Of course the answer was "we're IN the real world."

I saw lots of mommies and daddies babywearing. I only heard one baby cry the whole 5days- she was 4 weeks old and mama got her right to the breast.

No comments:

Post a Comment