Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Cooking, Measuring, Fractions

I posted a while back about the math game E was playing online and after that she did some fractions online and in real life. She only did it a few times and then lost interest in the game, but every time we bake something together we talk about the measuring cups and how I know how much of each ingredient to use. It's hard for me to explain much while cooking though, because L wants to stir, E is asking questions, I'm trying to follow the recipe- it's hectic! So today I got out the measuring cups and we measured water- 1 cup, 1/2 cup, 1/4 cup and so on. While we measured the water, I did the pie diagrams on a piece of paper. The water didn't hold their interest as long as I thought it would, but E and I kept drawing more pies for a while after that. We did things like having our whole family each get a piece of pie, so what fraction of an 8 piece pie would be left for friends? We talked about how 1/2 and 4/8 and 6/12 and 7/14 is all the same thing. Of course, L wasn't interested in all of this, so she and I drew circles and squares and triangles together and she fed me some of her delicious paper apple pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment